Saturday, September 20, 2008

Just checking in

Here is the latest.

- My flight to Japan is booked! I'm leaving on Oct. 5th. I don't know where my assignment will be yet, but I'm really excited to be going.

- I've spent the last 10 days working for my roommate and surfing mostly. Last week I had both the best day of surfing in my life, and then the worst day of surfing. On Monday I had 3 really long rides where I was carving up waist-high waves. YES!!! Then on Wednesday I surfed for 2 hours and didn't even catch a single wave, much less surf a wave. The fact that the waves died off in the middle of the week (knee-high) made it hard to catch waves, but it was really my fault for never being in the right place. 

- I've been getting some handy-man experience out here with my roommate. In the last two weeks we've managed to build a carport and an additional room off of the back of the house (under the pre-existing porch roof). Who would have thought that I would finish my masters and then become a nail-driver/concrete-mixer/painter? Brendan teases me for using terms like "hypothesis" and "activation energy" while cutting plywood.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

- We went to a BBQ at a friend's house on the East side of Oahu. Took some pictures and drank some Kava (it is extracted from a root found in the Pacific islands, it gets you kinda drunk and afterwards you sleep for like 12 hours). I had a great time.
Photobucket

No comments: