Friday, October 31, 2008

My first lesson in Japanese mind reading

I think I got in trouble today. I was at the school where the students are mute and the principal called me into his office.

P-pal: "Please come to my office. We have to talk."
Me: "Oh, okay."
P-pal: "You know last weekend there was a sake festival."
Me: "Oh, yeah! It was f..." (interrupts me)
P-pal: "You know there is one every year. You can go and pay 1000 yen (10 bucks) and you get a glass, and you get to taste sake and drink it in the street."
Me: "Yes, I was th..." (interrupts me)
P-pal: "You know sake has 15%, like wine?'
Me: "Yes."
P-pal: "Do you like sake?"
Me: "Yes."
P-pal: (he changes the subject) "So how do you like life in Joetsu?"

Then we just chatted for a while and I left. I'm certain I was in trouble because he had a cold tone and he obviously (somehow*) knew I was there. But I have no idea what I did wrong. I understand that as a sensei, I'm more than just a teacher. I'm a role model in and out of the classroom and I am a representative of the groups I belong to (i.e. my company and all the schools). 

But I was not drunk, loud, embarrassing, or shameful in any way. I was tasting sake with 100's of Japanese people at a cultural event. I spent most of my time watching the music and dance! I definitely don't understand.

*I was warned that this is a small city and word gets around. I guess the principal or a student's parent was there (they released newsletter with my picture to all the parents, and I'm pretty easy to pick out of a crowd of Japanese people).  

Anyway, HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I hope everybody back home has fun for me. I think I'll be stuck at home watching movies tonight :-/

No comments: