Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My coworkers

Following the lead of my favorite blog author (Az of gaijinsmash.net), I decided to assign pet names to some of my coworkers. 

Ursula - This teacher is possibly the most attractive person I've seen in Japan. However, she is a total biatch. She is every bit as grumpy and mean as she is beautiful. I first thought she was just mean to me (maybe she had a rude westerner boyfriend once... her English IS very good). For example, the first time I taught with her I came to class and peeked into the door. She whipped around to me and said "NOT YET!" in a deep, authoritative voice like Migi Sugimoto from the Japanese exploitation films of the 70's. But upon further observation I realized that she's nasty to everybody at work. I hope she calms down when she gets home everyday, otherwise I feel sorry for her husband.

Bruce Lee - First of all, this guy looks exactly like Bruce Lee. Second, I saw him play ping-pong today and he's like kung-fu lightning with a paddle. I swear he could've done a back flip between shots. I really want to see him stride up to the table with a straight face and say "A good ping-pong artist does not become tense but ready".

Bashful - I walked into the teacher's room one day and there was only one other person there... a young teacher hard at work. Since I'd never spoken to her before, I walked by her desk and said (in Japanese) "Wow, you're busy, huh?".  She blushed, gave me an open-mouthed smile and said "huuuuh, huh, huh". 

Barbie - There is a really pretty, older teacher that looks kinda dumb and ditzy. I don't know what she's saying 99% of the time, but from that 1% I can tell that she's a total airhead.

The Robot - One teacher wears the same skirt and blouse every time I see her. She walks very upright, never makes eye contact, speaks in shorts bursts, and her ponytail is pulled back very tight. I think she's a robot. 

No comments: