Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I have arrived in Lilliput

I finally made it! After all of the delays and paperwork I had this summer I felt like I got away with something when I made it past customs and immigration.
I felt a little guilty as I made my way through the Tokyo subway system with 100 lbs. of luggage because I didn't use any Japanese when I asked for help. At one point a tiny old lady saw me struggling with my heavy bags and said "Heavy, isn't it?".  I later saw her on the street and she said "Good luck!", and my first use of Japanese was when I thanked her. But then I got to the hotel and went through my tiny doorway, used the tiny toilet and shower, went to a restaurant and sat in a tiny chair, had a big beer and ordered/paid entirely in Japanese. The server even gave me too much credit and started saying a bunch of stuff I didn't understand... I think my blank response tipped him off that I don't know very much Japanese.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I later saw her on the street. saw her means said goodbye to her right?

good luck in JP!!!

Russ said...

It means that I saw her a second time while walking down the street ;-)