Saturday, December 13, 2008

Notes on Japan II

A friend made me realize that I've posted a lot of complaints and criticisms about Japan. So I decided to write an entry on the things I love about Japan. 

Japan is a cash society. As a result I've not seen any checks since I got here. You get paid by direct deposit and you pay your bills at the nearest grocery store or 7-11. It's really nice. And the ATMs update your bank book. You just insert your book and it will print out your transaction history. NEAT. 

I still love Japanese food. And I really wish I could keep getting the school lunch after I go back home. 

I can keep myself entertained by using my own translation for some words. For example, "machigata" means "I made a mistake". But I laugh internally every time I hear a teacher or a student say it and I pretend they said "aaaaahh, I fucked up".

I can't believe I'm thinking in another language a little. It is not very often, but I've caught myself thinking "dekinai" (I can't do it) and "nanji?" (what time is it?). Some words are just easier to think in Japanese. 

It's not a car society. Public transportation here is cheaper and more efficient than cars. And since there is higher demand for trains/busses (when compared to the U.S.), they run more often and can get you anywhere. I think they promoted public transit by making gas, parking, and toll roads expensive. 

No comments: