Monday, December 15, 2008

The joys of miscommunication

Backstory - My second day in Joetsu I was walking along the beach and I met a group of Japanese guys. One of them knew a little English so I talked with him for a few minutes. He then invited me to play beach football* with them on the weekends. I have been meeting up with them almost every weekend and they have been good acquaintances. 

*It's actually two-hand-touch rugby, played with an American football, on the beach. However, we moved to a gym once the weather started to turn. 

Last week the English-speaker, Tamura-san, invited me to a BBQ on Dec. 20th. Cool! 

Yesterday on our way to the gym, he asked if I had free time after practice. Then he said something about "helping for a Christmas party". I ASSUMED we were going to be preparing for the BBQ.

Actually, we went to a reasonably fancy Christmas dance recital that Tamura-san was helping run. There were about 500 people in a huge theater, all wearing nice clothes, while I was wearing smelly gym clothes. I mostly did easy stuff like open doors, except for at the end they thought it would be cute for me to lead the "goodbye" line. I had to stand in front of a big line employees and yell "arigato gozaimasu!" super fast while bowing repeatedly as people exited. During the exit rush I thought I was going to pass-out. 

Afterwards we went for a few drinks with the crew and I made some new friends. It was a really good day that I didn't see coming at all.  

No comments: